Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I Thought I Broke The Baby



   I felt like a complete ass as I stood there explaining to the nice fireman that it was a false alarm and my baby was actually all right as she walked around the living room playing with her toys.

   I’m getting ahead of myself so I’ll back up to twenty minute prior. I have this habit of sharing just about everything I have with Baby J and JR. Sunday night was no different. I had a long night of work ahead of me so I was pretreating myself with a king size pack of Reese’s cups. Baby J looked so lovingly into my eyes and I melted as fast as the candy I had been waiting to eat. I hesitated for a split second but then remembered she had had peanut butter in the past (not on my watch). I figured since there were no food allergies in the family and she’ll be one next month I’d share.

   Dumbass mistake #1: She had been fighting a cold for a couple of days and already wasn’t feeling well. Yes, I know even after 7 kids I still act like a rookie.

   Baby J sat on the bed under DD’s supervision while I went in the bathroom to do Sam’s hair. I kept the door open just so I could keep an eye on her. After about 5 minutes DD brings her in the bathroom and they watch me do Sam’s hair. All of a sudden Baby J starts gasping like she’s having a hard time breathing. Her eyes begin to water and she’s rubbing her face.

   I grab her and start talking to her but she’s still gasping and making weird noises. I immediately think she’s having an allergic reaction and FREAK. THE. HELL. OUT. I yelled for someone to call 911 while I tried to figure out how to help my poor little baby girl.

   Everything around me was a blur all I could focus on was her and her little face, eyes watering and she kept putting her face on my chest not wanting to keep her head up.

   All of a sudden she coughed, burped twice and she was breathing fine. As a matter of fact she wanted to get down out of my arms. Before I could even call 911 back and tell them “Sorry I’m an asshole” the fire truck and ambulance were at the door and my neighbors were outside asking questions.

   Since they were here anyway they went ahead and checked her out.

   Dumbass mistake #2: She was not having an allergic reaction but instead the mucus from her nose went down her throat and was so thick it got stuck. So I’m thinking I probably should have waited before call 911.

   Even thou everyone was extremely nice and kept telling me it was ok and I didn’t do anything wrong I still felt like an idiot.

   I obviously jumped the gun but when it comes to my babies I’ll risk looking like an ass in front of my neighbors anytime. It’s just my family that won’t let me live it down.  

 Ok, your turn, tell me a time you thought you broke one of your kids.



13 comments:

  1. You were just looking out for your little one. I would of done the same thing. One time my two year old at the time I had a new baby somehow found a penny and I asked her to give it to me. Instead she stuck it in her mouth, swallowed & choked on it. I had to give her the Heimlich while running to my neighbors for help I was so freaked out. By the time I got to the door she stopped choking it had finally gone down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have freaked out too!! I'm glad everything worked out and she was ok. It drives me crazy how little ones are always putting things in their mouths.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like something I would do! I have a tendency to overreact whenever I feel my child could be in danger. Usually, my first instinct is to call my mom. If she doesn't think I need to call emergency services, it's probably okay.

    I've called poison control about a million times because I thought there might have been a chance the little one swallowed something she shouldn't have even gotten a hold of. She's fallen off the bed (and couch and...well, little ones climb a lot!) and I've been sure she was going to have brain damage from the impact. She's always been fine, but I constantly find myself freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to call my mom all the time!! I think I drove her crazy with my questions but thats what they're there for. Little ones are stronger than we think. I had a fit when I found out our little boy fell off the bed (a few times) on hubby's watch. LOL I know it happens but sheesh! Its scary!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, that does sound scary! Better safe than sorry though - think you made the right move mama! - Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad - we had a very similar experience with our boy. My hubby thought he was having a fit and he went all strange so we called an ambulance and had to take him to the children's ER. Turns out he had a mucus issue too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I bumped my babies head on the car door I felt like a monster and it was barely a touch! Now he is trying to walk he often bumps his head so much harder and brushes it off, they are so much stronger than we realise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They are strong! I haven't met a parent yet that hasn't bumped their kids' head on something!

      Delete
  6. Last month I stupidly left my daughter sitting too close to the edge of the bed and she topped over backwards. It was one of the scariest moments of my life, even though she was fine (just a little freaked out).
    In your case, I think you were right on to call 911. If she had stopped breathing due to an allergic reaction, that would have been precious time. I'm glad she was ok and that was not the case, but I think you totally did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev. Our little girls are just about the same age. I would have been scared too!!

      Delete
  7. My first child had colic and cried well, all the time. The first time he cried for like 4 hours straight I took him to the emergency room and felt so stupid when they told me it's just gas, you're going to have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete